Functional Medicine is a unique system of medicine that focuses on identifying the root causes of a disease rather than suppressing the symptoms. As a chiropractor and functional medicine practitioner, my goal is to empower my patients to take an active role in their health by educating them about the various environmental and lifestyle factors that lead to disease.
Such factors include:
- Family medical history
- Dietary history
- Trauma or other illnesses
Functional medicine is based on these principles:
- Every patient is unique. Functional medicine focuses on providing personalized care to treat each patient’s individual needs based on his or her unique genetic and environmental factors.
- The relationship between a patient and clinician has a powerful effect on the patient’s health outcomes. Patients who are actively involved in their care plans feel more in control of their well-being and are more likely to make sustained lifestyle changes. Functional medicine focuses on empowering patients to take an active role in their own health.
- Everything is connected. Your body is made up of many complex systems, including the gastrointestinal, endocrine and immune systems, which are all connected in one way or another. A condition affecting one system may be caused by an issue somewhere else in the body.
- Your body is a self-regulating, self-healing organism. Your body has the ability to self-heal and self-regulate.
- Good health and vitality are essential to the human spirit. Functional medicine seeks to find a balance among the internal factors in a patient’s mind, body and spirit.
- Health is not just the absence of a disease; it is an overall sense of well-being. Functional Medicine addresses the whole person, not just an isolated set of symptoms.
Functional medicine can be used to treat and prevent a variety of diseases, including allergies, depression, certain toxicity conditions, obesity, gastrointestinal issues and more. Some of the benefits of this non-invasive treatment approach include optimal aging, reduced overall healthcare costs (due to fewer chronic issues), early detection of diseases and/or dysfunction, reduced pain and suffering, as well as the ultimate goal of a greater quality of life.
Contact us to learn more or to schedule an appointment.